The weekend has landed and all that matters now is clubs, drugs, pubs and parties. You've got 48 hours off the 9-5, it's time to unbutton your hustle and breathe vigor back into life. Whether it be through losing your soul on the dance floor or grooving to it, we have your soundtrack covered. The EARMILK Weekend Selector, an exclusive guest mix series where we invite the latest budding talent from behind the booth to usher you through all the boozie and jam. From your morning bedside to tonight's evening formal, your weekend selector is here to fill a void of good taste and allow fresh connections to flow vicariously.
Dragged out of his watering hole in Essex county, amidst doles and drinks to boredom comes a techno diamond in the rough. A precious talent with the name Attaque, crafted to quench in splendor he's at the forefront of a breaking sound engaged to the autoKratz imprint startup Bad Life. They call it "future techno" and its curators are unconventional faces like NT89, TWR72, and our Weekend Selector on decks. He's since moved to Brighton and since released his first LP When Light Falls. An unusual sight to see with an act so fresh in his career, but a move that is sure to put him ahead of bedroom entrées with bullets already under his belt. Tracks like "Shadows" and "Shine" wanted for mowing down festivals mobs. The motive is simple, gradually build tension and release when the crowd has already lost its mind.
The album proves itself to be for the basement and the warehouses with numbers like "Moderate" and "Sensor" which sinks into a deep frolic of techno nods and slumping footwork with a back against the wall. No gimmicks or compromise, When Light Falls is for the people that take the abyss to heart. And of course where there's techno, there's experimentation. The release sits on the authentic drive since lost from electro to flesh out tracks that can run over its audience while still being canny enough to amuse the surviving chin scratchers. The attitude has bona fide grit but the sonics are clean and distinct making for a polished message that can be both deranged and aggressive no matter where the dance floor or the time.
With Attaque behind the booth to steer the weekend, the man from Colchester rides into a territory all too familiar to him. Even if that means opening in a mystery, the grooves are elementary but layered and modulated professionally to build your anticipation. Tony Senghore's Animal Language collaboration introduces a love for heavy swing not seen in his original productions while the Alex Metric freebie "Rave Weapon" feels like a throwback to the 90s, a decade he's sure to pull from as his influences. Of course who can resist not pitching one of the sides of the latest Erol Alkan and Boys Noize collaboration, as the underrated "Brainstorm" gets the cue it deserves in the thick of the mix. When Light Falls makes its cameos at the peak of the tape, with "Reflection" and "The End" taking your whits out for one last spin only to smooth out and gradually park as the 60 minutes come to a close. There's still much to hear at the end, call it an abrupt ending or call it a reflection of Attaque's career as a bubbling techno producer. Even after finishing his first LP, there's still much to explore.
Read our interview with Attaque: http://bit.ly/L0oBgC
01. ??????????????? - Envelopes (Original Mix): CDR
02. Rebbecca & Fiona - Dance (Loops Of Fury Remix): CDR
03. Tony Senghore & Cristian Dinamarca - Feelso (Original Mix): Animal Language
04. Destructo feat Oliver - LA Funky (BS1 Dub): BNR Trax
05. Bumblebeez - Rodeo (Franz N Shape remix): Bang Gang
06. Alex Metric - Rave Weapon (Original Mix): CDR
07. Mumbai Science - Alchemy (Original Mix): Lektroluv
08. Polymorphic - Chicks Love The Car (Attaque remix): Lektroluv
09. Erol Alkan Boys Noize - Brainstorm (Original Mix): Boysnoize Records
10. Elektropusher - Anemic (Henzel & Disco Nova remix): CDR
11. Frederic De Carvalho & Slapstick - Snails (David Carretta Remix): Absolut Freak Records
12. Mass Digital - Mass Replica (Gronland Remix): 505Monarch
13. Attaque - Reflection (Original Mix): Bad Life
14. Tai - At The Disco (Ado Remix): Dim Mak Records
15. Black Asteroid - Engine 1 (Unsubscribe remix): CLR
16. Attaque - The End (Original Mix): Bad Life
17. Stsb & Saalmen - Aeskapade (Henzel & Disco Nova Remix): Kiez Beats